- Expertise: capitalism, unemployment and inclusion, economic growth, microeconomics business swings, economic dynamism, unemployment, altruism, morality
- Acquired his B.A. from Amherst (1955) and his Ph.D. from Yale (1959)
- McVickar Professor of Political Economy at Columbia University
- Director of Columbia’s Center on Capitalism and Society
- Winner of the 2006 Nobel Prize in Economics
- Fellow of the National Academy of Science
- Distinguished Fellow of the American Economic Association
- A Festschrift conference was held in his honor (2001)
- Named Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur and awarded the Premio Pico della Mirandola and the Kiel Global Economy Prize (2008)
- Appointed Dean of New Huadu Business School at Minjiang University in Fuzhou (2010)
- Author of Mass Flourishing: How Grassroots Innovation Created Jobs, Challenge, and Change
Biography Credit: Columbia University
- BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Award in Economics, Finance, and Management, 2012Honorary Doctor of Economics, University of Cyprus, 2012
- 10th Annual Conference, “After Keynesianism and Corporatism,” Columbia University, New York, December 7th, 2012.
- University Philosophical Society of Trinity College, honorary patron, October 2012. President’s Medal, National University of Ireland – Galway, October 2012.
- Mendeleev Medal for Achievement in the Sciences, St. Petersburg, Russia, October 2012.
- Panel on domestic job creation with Steve Case and Carly Fiorina for Bloomberg Link Washington
Summit, Washington DC, May 1, 2012.
- Russian Academy of Sciences, full member, December 22, 2011.
- 9th Annual Conference, “Philosophical Foundations on Economics,” Columbia University, New
York, September 23-24, 2011.
- Louise Blouin Award for Creative Leadership, New York, New York, September 19, 2011.
- 8th Annual Conference, “Microfoundations for Modern Macroeconomics,” Columbia University,
New York, November 19-20, 2010.
To view a full list of Edmund Phelp’s awards, view his CV here: http://www.columbia.edu/~esp2/CV2012-12-12.pdf
- The Official Edmund Phelps Website
- Nobel Prize: Edmund S. Phelps – Biographical
- Columbia University: Edmund Phelps Biography
- Columbia University: Edmund Phelps – List of Op-Eds and Letters
- Columbia University: Edmund Phelps – List of Articles
- Columbia University: Edmund Phelps – List of Recent Speeches
- Columbia University: Edmund Phelps – Complete List of Speeches
- C – SPAN: Edmund Phelps Biographical History
- Speakers Associates: Edmund Phelps Biography
- Twitter: Edmund Phelps
- Wikipedia: Edmund Phelps
- 10/09/06 Bloomberg BusinessWeek, “Why Edmund Phelps’ Economic Theory Matters”: http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2006-10-09/why-edmund-phelps-economic-theory-mattersbusinessweek-business-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice
- 10/10/06 Economist’s View, “Phelps: Dynamic Capitalism”: http://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2006/10/phelps_dynamic_.html
- 10/12/06 Economist, “The Nobel prize for economics: A natural choice”: http://www.economist.com/node/8031411?zid=295&ah=0bca374e65f2354d553956ea65f756e0
- 11/12/08 Der Spiegel, “Edmund S. Phelps: What Has Gone Wrong up until Now”: http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/edmund-s-phelps-what-has-gone-wrong-up-until-now-a-590030.html
- 9/01/11 Thought Economics, “Capitalism – What Comes Next?”: http://thoughteconomics.blogspot.com/2011/09/capitalism-what-comes-next.html
- 02/11/13 Bloomberg News, “Expecting the Unexpected: An Interview With Edmund Phelps”: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-11/expecting-the-unexpected-an-interview-with-edmund-phelps.html
- 02/24/13 NY Times Opinion Pages, “Less Innovation, More Inequality”: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/less-innovation-more-inequality/
- 06/24/13 CNBC, “The West Has Lost Its Dynamism: Edmund Phelps”: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000178028
Andrew De Sio | Andrew_DeSio@press.princeton.edu | 609-258-5165