“The best geography of the ancient world ever achieved,” as you’ve never seen it before. The BARRINGTON ATLAS OF THE GREEK AND ROMAN WORLD APP ($19.95) puts over a hundred fully interactive, color maps of the ancient world at your fingertips.
Update 1/8/14: Version 1.1 now available
- Updated and improved Gazetteer with Modern names in italic.
- Optimized for stability in iOS 7.0.4
Princeton University Press announces the launch of the Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World App in the iTunes store on November 21, 2013. The app, priced at $19.95 and available for iPad2+, presents the complete content of the classic reference work Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World (Princeton University Press, 2000, $395.00) and incorporates an interactive and searchable gazetteer.
In 102 interactive color maps, this app re-creates the entire world of the Greeks and Romans from the British Isles to the Indian subcontinent and deep into North Africa. Unrivaled for range, clarity, and detail, these custom-designed maps return the modern landscape to its ancient appearance, marking ancient names and features in accordance with modern scholarship and archaeological discoveries. Geographically, the maps span the territory of more than seventy-five modern countries. Chronologically, they extend from archaic Greece to the Late Roman Empire.
Upon its print publication in 2000, the Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World was hailed by the New York Times as “the best geography of the ancient world ever achieved” and deemed by classicist Bernard Knox to be “an indispensable tool for historians concerned with ancient times” as well as “a source of great pleasure for the amateur.” The app makes this unsurpassed reference work more portable and affordable than ever before possible.
A must-have for scholars, this app will also appeal to anyone eager to retrace Alexander’s eastward marches, cross the Alps with Hannibal, traverse the Eastern Mediterranean with Saint Paul, or ponder the roads, aqueducts, and defense works of the Roman Empire.
- Carry all the content of the Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World on your iPad
- Explore and study on the go with interactive color maps and full-screen HD map images—all optimized for Retina Display
- Navigate maps with a finger swipe or tap
- Pinch-zoom up to 800 percent to see all detail
- Find more than 20,000 locations through an interactive gazetteer
- Bookmark locations for quick and easy access
- See all maps in proper orientation in both portrait and landscape modes through automatic “True North” rotation
- Look at maps in the same order as the book and move seamlessly between connected map plates without flipping pages
- View ancient borders or overlay modern borders for reference
- Examine maps in detail with an interactive map key
- Access maps through multiple, intuitive pathways provided by an easy-to-use interface
- Store all data locally on your iPad—no Wi-Fi or network connection necessary
Share this news: