In order for Fox to be considered for the award, she had to meet the requirements for the award to an “outstanding degree,” according to The Society for the Study of Social Problems’ criteria listed on the site:
- Critically addresses an issue of contemporary public importance.
- Brings to the topic a fresh, imaginative perspective.
- Advances social scientific understanding of the topic.
- Displays a theoretically informed view and empirical orientation.
- Evinces quality in style of writing. Explicitly or implicitly contains implications for courses of action.
- Explicitly or implicitly contains implications for courses of action