Did you know May is Hummingbird Month? To help celebrate, this week’s book giveaway is Hummingbirds of North America: The Photographic Guide by Steve Howell. For all their startling colors, the speed of hummingbird flight and the often drab coloration of females and immatures make this group especially difficult to deal with in the field. The simple field marks are often poorly lit, hard to spot, or simply not shown by any particular individual under observation. But accurate identification of these popular and beautiful birds brings both real satisfaction and a welcome challenge to most birders.
- Key Features:
- Contains up to 14 full-color photos for each species, with detailed photo captions
- Detailed introduction covers fundamentals of hummingbird identification, including discussions of anatomy, plumage variation, and molt
- Comprehensive species accounts describe all plumages, compare similar species in depth, and discuss voice, displays, behavior, geographic range, and seasonal distribution
- Emphasizes difficult to identify plumages, such as females and immatures
- Features 200 stunning photos picked specifically to show identification criteria
“The Photographic Guide. . . unites scholarship with unity, and it is outstanding for its photo art, which is both useful and an aesthetic triumph.”–Birding
How do you enter to win this book? To be a part of each Friday’s random drawing for our book giveaways, LIKE US on our Facebook Page.
Hummingbirds of North America: The Photographic Guide by Steve Howell